Today my commute home from work was a little extra long, and my stomach was a little extra empty. I knew, for my sanity, that I had to get dinner on the table quickly!
I haven’t been grocery shopping in quite a while, so my options on cooking are sincerely limited. During my torturous commute, I took a mental inventory of what I had at home and came up with a list for Shrimp Burritos. They turned out great! And they were so fast that my fiance wasn’t ready to eat when I had them done!
We both ended up stuffed full and happy. I put everything on the inside of mine, and since the fiance wasn’t ready for food when I was, he had to reheat his and come up with a new strategy. He filled his tortilla up, rolled it up, and microwaved it. Then he topped it with salsa, sour cream and cheese and ate it “smothered” style. I almost wish I had done it that way! Except there is something very satisfying about eating with your hands…so I suppose I don’t regret my method too horribly!
Shrimp Burritos in under 15 minutes
- Vegetarian canned refried beans
- Burrito sized flour tortillas
- Frozen peppers and onions (I keep these in the freezer at all times! a real meal-saver!)
- Frozen, peeled, deveined and de-tailed shrimp
- Shredded carrots (I keep these around all the time too! great for salads and stir-fry!)
- Sliced white or baby bella mushrooms
- Light sour cream
- Shredded mexican blend cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Lime juice
- Taco seasoning
- olive oil
- Warm the refried beans up in a pot on the stove
- At the same time, throw the onion/pepper blend and mushrooms into a pan that has been lightly olive-oiled.
- Once they start thawing a bit, add the shrimp
- When the shrimp start to get a little bit of color, but before they’re totally pink and cooked, add a couple squirts of lime juice, a shake of cayenne (more if you like it spicier!) and a shake of taco seasoning. Then add a generous handful of shredded carrots.
- Don’t forget to stir your beans so they don’t burn on the bottom!
- After the shrimp are pink all the way through, layer everything up on a tortilla! My preferred order is – sour cream, then beans, then cheese, then shrimp/veggies, then salsa.
- Wrap it up the way you like best, but make sure at least one end is closed up so you don’t get too sloppy!